The Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Preservation Society

Locomotives

  • ‘The Train from Spain’ – Krauss No. 8457

    We are raising funds and awareness to aid the restoration of No.8457, which is being purchased by the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Preservation Society and being brought all the way

    Read More >>
  • River Mite

    River Mite is owned by the Preservation Society which raised funds for its construction in the 1960s. The 0-8-0 frames from the former Poultney steam tender chassis from River Esk

    Read More >>
  • River Esk

    River Esk appears outwardly much as built in 1923 by Davey, Paxman Ltd of Colchester. The design by Henry Greenly gave a locomotive capable of working heavy granite trains from

    Read More >>
  • River Irt

    River Irt is the oldest working 15-inch gauge locomotive in the world. The chassis is that of the 0-8-0 tank loco Muriel, built by Sir Arthur Heywood in 1894 at

    Read More >>
  • Northern Rock

    Northern Rock was built at the workshops at Ravenglass. Comparative trials had taken place with 4-6-2 Northern Chief from the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway in 1971 which enabled the

    Read More >>
  • Synolda

    Synolda is virtually identical to Sans Pareil, the first 15 inch gauge loco to run on the R&ER in 1915. It too was built at Bassett Lowkes in Northampton to

    Read More >>
  • Douglas Ferreira

    Douglas Ferreira was built for the Preservation Society in 2005 by TMA Engineering Ltd of Birmingham. It was completed in July 2006 and since then has been the mainstay of

    Read More >>
  • Lady Wakefield

    Lady Wakefield is named after the wife of the former chairman of the Railway Company. It was designed and built at the Ravenglass workshops. Construction began in 1978 and the locomotive

    Read More >>
  • Perkins

    Perkins has had a long career. Its frames date from 1929 and are from one of the Muir-Hill tractors which were ordered to handle the stone trains. The tractor was

    Read More >>
  • Shelagh of Eskdale

    A ‘new’ diesel loco for the railway was first begun in 1955 when Heathcotes Ltd of Cleator Moor built the chassis incorporating the crank webs and centre sliding axle of

    Read More >>