Synolda is virtually identical to Sans Pareil, the first 15 inch gauge loco to run on the R&ER in 1915. It too was built at Bassett Lowkes in Northampton to a design by Henry Greenly. Synolda was built for the Sand Hutton Railway on the estate of Sir Robert Walker in 1912. After that line was regauged in 1922, the loco was sold and ran on pleasure park lines at Southend and Manchester Belle Vue from 1942. During the 1960s it was disguised by Wild West fittings. It ran until 1976, and was rescued in a derelict state on the closure of the zoo in 1978. It was restored to working order by apprentices from British Nuclear Fuels Ltd.
Being too lightly built for everyday operation, it is now only used for special trains. It is painted in the lined blue livery of Narrow Gauge Railways, which originally operated the R&ER in 1915, and normally resides in the Museum. In 1981 and again in 1997 it visited the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, and in 1983, the Lakeside Miniature Railway at Southport. Visits to the Cleethorpe Coast Light Railway and the Bure Valley Railway following in the early 1990s.